Sunday, February 2, 2014

My Ebenezer

His Proposal was filled to overflowing with the Word of God. I could not have sat for 2 days just listening to women's personal anecdotes and words of wisdom. That was what I was afraid I was going to get. But I got Jesus. The Word. And He is life giving. And refreshing. I was overcome with the Bible. Totally captivated.

Confession time. I am not a morning person. I am a snooze pusher. I don't like the process of having to wake up or open my eyes or come out from under the covers or crawl out of bed. It's torture. But I have wanted to get up earlier. It has not been happening. Last week the Lord woke me up day after day literally one minute before my alarm was to go off. And day after day I ignored Him and rolled over starting my snooze routine. The Spirit started to convict me big time!

Then last weekend happened, and it has been so much easier to get up. I was hungry to get in the Word. I've never been one to write in my Bible or any book really, but I got this Notetaker's Bible and have been writing all over the place. I am doing a Bible reading plan to read through the entire Bible this year, and I am playing an audio version of the Bible to help me focus while I read and digest. I couldn't be more excited about God's Word. My first morning I gave myself 20 minutes, and 35 minutes passed before I even checked the time! I thought it had been maybe 10 minutes! I have been so thankful for a few snow days this week where I have been able to spend lots of time in the Word. I know every day won't be this way. I'm the least busy I'll be in my whole life and I want to take advantage of that. Goodness knows, I'm not writing these things to brag on myself, but to brag on God. He is giving me, a girl who is not a morning person, the grace to get up and get wrapped up in Him. And you can too!

Pray that the Lord gives you a hunger for the Word. He will.

Friday night Jennie gave away some prizes. I was the first to spout out an answer to her question (fitting for me the word was creation), and she gave me a pink sparkly Bible with a designable cover. I was so happy. It was silly, but it felt significant. I was already committing in my heart to be more in the Word, and then came that. Out of nowhere the Lord whispered in my heart that this was my Ebenezer. A funny word to receive at the time. But it felt fitting. I later looked up what that was in Scripture.


Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.” 1 Samuel 7:12

Thus far the Lord has helped me. That was His reminder to me the whole weekend which I wrote about a few days ago. That pink sparkly Bible was the sign to remind me of what He has done and what He taught me that weekend. It is a sign to remind me of God's love for me and to remember the importance of being in God's Word.

What kind of Ebenezers do you have set up in your life and what do you need to remember today? Honor Him by remembering.

No comments: